Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Perennial Measure



cover photo and design by Marcel Antonio


--tribute to Eugenio Montale's Cuttlefish Bones


This is it. An irresistible purge pure as the putrid
smell of parmigiano-reggiano I just have to tell
you about. Otherwise I’d go crazy with laziness,
I won’t know what to do aside from job-wait

in the land of peer-hate and crimes’ journalese.
This is that, a party or poesy joyous among blasé
blogs, flagged at every measure but constantly,
blatantly musical, trumpeting uncontrolled ease

in the city of grey concrete littered with plastic
insensitivities and manic individualism. I hurl
my silent keyboard with impunity, tempted by
exclusions, hungry as yesterday’s hellish pizza,

though nostalgia won’t do us any good. Time
to be looking forward, to put up new standards
in service of the old, for the same ideals burn
in me as the Fascist desire—power/harmony,

but pursued in far greater graceful fashion,
sort of like Milan on a café afternoon, posing
as a dandy, armed only with words, only sly
inconsolable asymmetry from flagged poetry.



---Milan, er, Manila, August 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment