Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ivan Bunin's 401Kiss

Action
Armchair faction
The lottery insisted I note down
wallets, pomegranates, and youth
the speaker of my house demanded
"sift through and sow magnifying lenses,
devour defenses, battery power insurance"

Facing the book, I wasn't allowed solemnity
I asked for indemnities but He was absent
I called for Nicanor Parra who was laughing
I ingrained my thoughts on bra, ob-la-daing
I was absent, too, reminiscent of old hit songs
I was dying for a bathtub, aching for lost loves

The cellophane bag lunches swallowed the oceans
but that is not our concern, it's God's, always, forever
so let's just live, live, live, live til we die, die, die, die slowly
in a gooey death refusing to leave or even---retired---believe
that the consumerist blame is on the veiled abundant fishes
copiously murderous in the reefs, not the leeches in the forest
of the capital city's rivers and old houses and banks and ...

I was happy to see you but you weren't happy
to be born, and though there was the TV
"I couldn't hunger or clamor for more"
throwing your arms round 'n' round
in desperation, asking for respite
for salutations while I sighed
in this ... incarceration

In twelve years
I will be
free
see

1 comment:

  1. "...The lottery insisted I note down
    wallets, pomegranates, and youth..."

    "...so let's just live, live, live, live til we die, die, die, die slowly
    in a gooey death refusing to leave or even---retired---believe
    that the consumerist blame is on the veiled abundant fishes
    copiously murderous in the reefs..."

    Nice visual structure too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete